Tuesday 1 May 2018

Steampunk - VSF - Aeronefs


Somehow, amongst the many distractions, I found myself  tinkering with the idea of playing aeronefs. I guess it s not totally out of the blue, since,  some years ago I had been putting together forces for  war on Mars in 15mm and using Principles of War rules. Somewhere, along the way I must have  spotted Brigade Models' Aeronefs and found myself , this year at Salute, taking a more than casual interest. I decided I didn't want to go with the forces they had selected for the various nations, but that I would create my own,  and select the ships from Brigade's catalogue to suit my taste.

I spent at least a whole day on the internet going through all the photos I could find, choosing which ships I wanted to purchase for the Turkish Air Navy. But what's the point of having an air force if you can't hold the ground you dominate? So, off to Irregular Miniatures for a 2mm Turkish VSF army. Now, surprisingly, Irregular don't have a Turkish VSF army ready in their lists. No problem . I explained my project to the proprietor and low and behold, despite being in the middle of moving premises, an army arrived within 48 hours complete with the specified Arab irregulars and some cossacks. Now in 2mm , can you really tell a cossack from a spahi? I like to imagine I can.

So firstly, the aeronefs from Brigade Models -

well actually, two landships from their French range, no doubt loaned out to the Turks in exchange for a share of the profits from the latter's impending foray into Turkmenistan. I also bought several packs of spare guns and masts and I'm thinking about using open topped turrets as opposed to the originals as supplied..


Now , I did think about refighting the Great Paraguyan War, and I really liked the designs for Brigade's South American, so I purchased the Chilean, Brazilian and Argentinian models as shown. They look very sleek and modern and no doubt crewed with British naval veterans.


I have  four more aeronefs to upload  later as they are currently  drying from their undercoat as are the 2mm Turks. I'll send updates as  I make progress; thanks for stopping by : )

No comments:

Post a Comment